
Bristol's mightiest building, this armory was built for the local Naval Reserve Torpedo Company, a division of the Rhode Island Militia. Its construction is itself a history of the changing fortunes of the Bristol harbor. It dominates Warehouse Point, at the southern end of the port, and was originally developed in 1810 as Long Wharf, a bold speculative venture which involved five brick warehouses. Within eighty years, the complex had been demolished, and this stupdendous Richardsonian essay took its