
North Mississippi College operated in this locale from 1840 to 1860, and in 1842 its officials participated in the founding of this church. Atop its brick walls is a wooden entablature and matched-board pedimented gable. The Tuscan portico and sidewall treatment with pilasters defining window bays is similar to Thomas Jefferson’s design for the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond. Paneled box pews and the wooden pulpit remain on the interior. The stained glass postdates damage by Union troops in 1862.